A History Of Brewing in Dundalk
1707 – 1862
The town of Dundalk has always been ideally suited to a foster a brewing industry. It allowed easy access to water, malt and yeast – the three essential ingredients for successful brewing. The rich agricultural hinterland supplied barley and the town itself boasted a skillful and varied workforce in the 17th century. So it was in 1693 there were a total of 32 breweries in place in the town but by the end of the 18th century brewing began to be industrialized which meant that a smaller number of breweries could produce more beer. By 1780 only 3 breweries remained in Dundalk , one of which was the Cambricville Brewery of William Stuart. This had been established around 1704 on the site of a former Huguenot settlement but by 1835 all but Cambricville had ceased trading. 1837 saw the emergence of a new brewery in Dublin street and the intense local competition meant that by 1854 the Cambricville brewery had closed.
The history of the brewing interest now owned by Messrs Macardle and Moore and Co. began with Mr. P Wynne, J.P. at the Dublin street brewery. His two nephews Messers John C. and Arthur E Duffy and Mr Edward H Macardle JP in 1859 purchased from him. After a few year’s association Mr Arthur E Duffy sold out the remaining partners. Mr John C Duffy died in France and the widow disposed of his share to Edward H Macardle.